Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cognitive Challenges (or Where the hell did I put the phone?)



Those with Fibromyalgia are all too familiar with the term "FibroFog" or the term to describe the cognitive difficulties that accompany this diagnosis.  The Mayo Clinic describes the cognitive challenges as impairment in the ability to focus, pay attention, and concentrate on mental tasks.  The Arthritis Foundation expands on this definition adding that it can also include confusion, lapses in memory, word mix-ups, and difficulty concentrating.



My long term memory is exceptional.  I have the ability to recall regulation from California Code of Regulations almost word for word and criteria for psychological diagnoses from the DSM IV TR.  Put me in a meeting with a group of people, and I can remember the smallest details of historical changes of policy and legislation (related to mental health in California). Give me an hour with a client to complete a full Biopsychosoial assessment, and I can recall details about the client years later.  

I'm a voracious reader.  I can read lengthy novels in a day.  Reviewing hospital or client charts could be done very quickly--and I usually can remember the information I read.  

In high school, a friend got me started into competitive public speaking, and my ability to speak up in meetings and sound like I know what I'm talking about is actually quite impressive.  While I'll never say I adore public speaking, I do enjoy conducting trainings.  (I play a great extrovert when necessary.)  

But for all of these tasks, concentration, focus, and being able to utilize my vocabulary is necessary.  It's frustrating when it's difficult to focus on a task or recall information, including words.  Fortunately, when it comes to work-related items, I can usually push to focus and concentrate, and I've become a master at substituting words smoothly so that no one sees me struggle.  

In my "downtime", though?  Or when I'm with friends or family that I allow to see behind the mask? When it's work-related, I can push through, but the fatigue I experience later is great and the FibroFog can get pretty bad.  (It also increases during times when I'm experiencing high stress levels.)

I learned a long time ago that I could be frustrated with my FibroFog moments, or I could laugh at them (although, some of them weren't so funny at the time).  



Since I'm a big believer in laughing at oneself being good for oneself, I'm going to share some of my "FibroFog Funnies".


  • When my husband and I first started living together, he got to experience one of my fog moments after a grocery shopping trip.  We put the groceries away, and later that evening, I heard a noise of frustration coming from him as he looked into the pantry for something. Apparently, while putting away the groceries, I put the ice cream in the pantry and the cereal in the freezer, and the ice cream had melted (and dripped) all over the place.  After that experience, we learned not to buy the ice cream containers that open on multiple sides.



  • One day a few years ago, I heard the phone ringing, but it was muffled, and I couldn't find it anywhere.  I was finally able to locate it...in the freezer.  Apparently, I had set it down when I went in there to get ice and forgot about it.  Unfortunately, the person on the other end ended up getting the greeting of "Hello?  Sh** that's cold!"  (I'd like to say I've learned to keep the phones out of the freezer, but it's happened multiple times.)



  • Our house cleaner found the remote in my sock drawer.  We're still not sure how that happened.



  • There have been several instances of lost words where I've been trying to say something I'm usually familiar with, but end up describing the words I'm looking for (frequently using sign language of sorts).  This can get highly entertaining for the individuals around me as my arms start flying.



  • I've attempted (on three occasions, now) to brush my teeth by putting deodorant on my toothbrush.  (What makes this even more impressive is that my deodorant is the stick kind.)



  • I've come close to cleaning my contact lenses with body wash.



  • This last one is a potentially serious one, but it highlights how serious this can be.  I've actually taken my medication twice in one evening because I forgot I'd taken it earlier. Fortunately, I only experienced feeling like complete and total crap the next day.  (Please note that medications and medication errors should be taken very seriously and to seek medical attention should be sought immediately if errors have been made.)


How do I avoid FibroFog Moments?


  • Develop habits.  I have a routine in the morning of what order I complete tasks in.  For example, after my shower, I put my contact lenses in, brush my teeth, and put deodorant on.  I do it in that order, and I keep the supplies for each of those tasks in the same place at all times.  
  • Be organized.  I keep my keys on the hook by the door, my purse on the shelf, and my phone on the charger by my bed.  If I deviate from returning those items to those places, it's a problem.  
  • Keep it simple.  Clutter is chaos.  If it's not something that is necessary or beautiful, don't keep it around.  The more stuff you have around you, the easier it is to lose things, and the easier it is to feel overwhelmed and add stress.  (And stress is the last thing that will help FibroFog.)
  • Be gentle with yourself.  FibroFog can be incredibly frustrating, but it can also be an opportunity for great laughter.  And trust me, laughter is infinitely better for overall health than getting upset. 



A Final Note:  During the writing of this blog, I asked my husband if he could remember any FibroFog moments.  He just shot me a look that read "You're asking me to remember things that you've forgotten?".  Oh.




No comments: