Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chemical Sensitivity (Or what do you do when your shampoo makes you break out in hives?)



About four years ago, I began having allergic reactions to my shampoo.  And shortly thereafter, I noticed that I was breaking out in rashes with my face cleanser and make-up. Then there was the allergic reaction to my deodorant (which was highly uncomfortable), and I noticed that I seemed to have increased sensitivity to my body wash.  Even my clothes seemed to cause a sort of allergic reaction.  I'd used the same brand of products for about 15 years, and the brand reported themselves to be natural with ingredients that shouldn't cause these sorts of problems.

But sure enough, I was experiencing sensitivity to something within the products I had been using for years and found myself standing in the aisles of Target wondering what would work for me.  Well, I found myself wondering what would work, but also worried of what else may cause these reactions. (I'm glad to say that I was eventually successful in finding new skincare, shampoo, body wash, make-up, deodorant, laundry detergent, and cleaning products, but I'm also very aware that this could change at any time.)

I, like many other individuals dealing with an Autoimmune Condition, have developed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).  WebMD has a great technical description of this condition, but here's a definition from my point of view:  Intolerance to a variety of chemicals that can lead to allergic reactions within the body.

I won't bore you with the list of chemicals I cannot tolerate, but fragrance can be a major trigger for someone with MCS.  Strong perfumes or colognes are problematic items for me, because it can actually trigger breathing difficulties and severe nausea.  I once had to share a computer wrist rest of someone who wore strong colognes, and found myself breaking out in hives on my wrist.  I can't walk down the detergent aisle at the store because of the strong perfumes.  I can't wear clothes that have been bleached, nor can I be around areas where bleach has been used for cleaning purposes.  

Like Fibromyalgia and Lupus (or other Autoimmune Conditions), there isn't a definitive list of what chemicals to which a person with MCS will react to, nor is there a list of potential reactions, so what I may have sensitivities to others with MCS may not (or vice versa).  

It's easier to control the environmental factors within the home.  For instance, in our household, we've found a line of house cleaning products that both work well and don't lead me to have a negative reaction.  We're very clear with the individual who cleans our house for us that it's necessary for her to use those cleaners, as well as why.  

In our home life, we have run into some challenges with MCS. My husband and I are both artists and many creative endeavors require chemicals that aren't so great.  I refuse to give up those creative outlets, and so I've had to figure out workarounds where I can.  The big challenges come while being out in the world.  

Ever have the experience of stepping into an elevator with someone who's wearing very strong perfume?  For a "normal" person, it's an uncomfortable experience, but for someone with MCS, it can feel like being choked.  So you can imagine being stuck on a plane or working in an office where strong fragrances exist.  

So, if you're sensitive to chemicals, what are some ways to deal?


  • If you're working outside of the home, advocate for a fragrance-free workplace. You might be surprised how many of your coworkers will thank you for it. Chemical Sensitivity is also recognized as as a disability by the Americans with Disabilities Act.  (Learn your rights under the ADA.)
  • Read labels.  Learn about what products you're using on and in your body.  Learn about the products you use to clean your home.  Not all "natural" products are natural (labeling can be misleading), so do some research.
  • Remember if you have an Autoimmune Condition, you're more likely to develop additional Autoimmune Conditions and/or Chemical Sensitivity.  Talk to you medical team and other trusted professionals on how best to address these issues for you.

No comments: