Sunday, March 8, 2015

What can set a flare in motion? (Or why I HATE Daylight Savings Time.)


Flares are times at which the symptoms of Autoimmune Disease/Chronic Pain conditions are at their most acute and severe.  Flares can be short term (few days) or can last long term. They can happen for unpredictable reasons, but a Chronic Pain Warrior learns that are certain things that can set flares in motion for them (and it can differ from person to person.)

For me, there are things that I know can start a flare.  Stress, emotional overexertion, physical overexertion, changes to my sleep habits, medication changes, allergies, if I'm fighting off an illness (or sick with an illness such as a cold or the flu), or a multitude of other factors.  There are many that I've learned to avoid or to mitigate their impact, but there is one change in my environment that seems to get me every time.

Time changes.  Daylight savings time changes are probably my least two favorite days of the year, consistently, because I'll feel the impact of those changes for at least a week. Unfortunately, I can't avoid the flare, but I've learned a few tricks to mitigate it:


  • Avoid trigger foods like sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.  I tend to avoid those foods anyway, but I seem to crave sugar and caffeine when I'm flaring.  (They provide quick energy, but I pay for it later.)  
  • Try to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
  • Eat regular meals.  (Don't skip meals! This can cause even more problems.  As a tip, many grocery stores are now offering prepackaged meals that are easy to throw in the microwave or oven and don't require too much thought, planning, or work.  Keeping a few of these around while flaring can allow you to focus on recovery while still getting a nutritional meal.)
  • Rest when needed.  (Sleeping too much can also be a problem because it'll throw off sleep schedules, but allow yourself to rest.)
  • Don't over-schedule/over-commit yourself.  Take a step back and focus on your self-care.
  • Are there adjunctive therapies that help you?  For me, those include the use of Essential Oils, massage, acupuncture/cupping, and meditation.
  • Gentle yoga (keyword gentle) and stretching can be helpful.  
  • Do you have an activity that you enjoy that doesn't require a lot of output? Maybe it's reading a good novel, watching a funny movie, or sitting outside enjoying the sunshine. Spend time doing something that you find enjoyable and relaxing.



Personal Note:  I've found great Essential Oils through a company called Ravenscroft Escentials (link here).  Ginger and Charlie are amazing, extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and their "Fibro Rub" oil has helped me immensely.  

Definitions of medical conditions listed in my medical chart

No comments: